Friday, March 18, 2011

It'll Help You Sleep - Rose, Ylang Ylang and Sandalwood

Yet another friend of mine -- they all want something (Grin) -- reported that due to some medication he was having difficulty sleeping.  After checking with his physician if it was ok to use essential oils to support a mood of peace to enhance his sleep we got right down to experimenting on him.

Different fragrances work different effects on people.  Some are drawn to florals and sigh a deep sigh of relaxation and enjoyment.  Others just get a headache.  Seriously, it is for this reason that I keep my best rose absolute close to me and risk sharing it only when I know someone is a true floral lover.  It costs a mini fortune and I'm almost down to estimating how much each drop is worth.
OK, now that the rant is done, we got to clarity that he was one of those manly men who responded very well to wood-like oils, no surprise, but who also really loved florals.  I made him up a spray to try out on his pillow of exactly one drop rose absolute, two drops of Australian sandalwood, one drop of Ylang-Ylang and a couple of drops of Lavender Maillette.

I instructed him to spray one light spritz on his pillow before sleep and to report back how he enjoyed it.  Well, he loved it so well that he sprayed everything in sight and slept, as he says, like a baby for the first time in a long time.
Inspired by the success story, I delivered the exact same spray to another friend who had sleeping challenges and she woke up in the morning with a headache.  That's what I mean.  There is no one size fits all.  We're going to do one of my favorite exercises with her, we're going to do the blind sniff test, and go through those oils which are thought to be a good support for restful sleep to see which she responds well to.  I already eliminated all the floral, sweet oils and have some lined up for the test.   I'll let you know how it goes.

And just in case you're wondering it is possible to have an unpleasant response to essential oils of even the finest quality.  Rule of thumb:  Less is always more.