Monday, March 07, 2011

Dry and Cracked Elbows

A friend showed up with extremely dry and cracked elbows.  Not pretty.  Irritated, itchy and flakey.  It was late on a Sunday afternoon and he wasn't going to be able to see his doctor until next week.  He had been using over the counter lotion to try to keep the skin moisturized but it didn't seem to be doing any good.  He wanted some relief.

I picked up some Simplers Comfrey Oil which is described on their site as "Due to its high allantoin content, Comfrey stimulates cell proliferation in wound healing. It has shown to promote rapid growth of connective tissue, bone & cartilage."  I remember growing comfrey in the back yard in my home town Johannesburg.  My aunt used to crush the luscious leaves while still green by rolling them in newspaper and then wrapping them in a warm cotton cloth and applied them to her legs to address swollen ankles.  Now I was pretty young and I don't know if i'm remembering that correctly, but the memory popped into my head when I picked up the Simplers Comfrey Oil to brew up something that would help my friends elbows.

Following some notes taken in various classes and from books I own on the health promoting qualities of essential oils, I added ten drops of geranium, 3 drops of Peppermint, 1 drop of Thyme and a few other secret ingredients (grin, lavender, cistus, cederwood, patchouli and roman chamomile).  My friend applied the now exotically aromatic concoction and headed off to see a movie.  

Same day, I received a happy visit from him directly after the movie, waving his elbow around for me to see what seemed like a radical improvement in the situation.  He applied the skin to only one elbow so that we could monitor the difference, and oh my, what a difference.

He's still going to see his doctor, but he will be applying the oil to one elbow and lotion to the other so that he has something to show the health care professional when he gets there.  I don't recommend experimenting with essential oils on broken skin or infected wounds.  On the other hand, I personally have found tremendous relief using essential oils on all kinds of skin problems from insect bites to aging skin.

My advice:  read a lot, educate yourself, and double check everything you read on the internet when it comes to using essential oils to enhance your health.



No comments:

Post a Comment