Friday, October 30, 2009

American Atlas Cedarwood

(Cedarus atlantica)


I love this Cedarwood because it instantly makes me feel like I’m in nature, in a forest and peaceful. I have to be careful with this oil because I love it so much I want to inhale it a whole lot… the problem is that it can make a person light headed and dizzy and so I really need to use it with moderation.

It’s another oil that I like to drop onto a wash cloth and line my clothing draws. I’ve read that when added to shampoo, Cedarwood creates a refreshing lift to your shampoo and helps with dandruff. I’ve never tried this, but I have tried a few drops added to Dr. Bonner’s Soap, shaken up, to make a luxurious shower!

Botanical Name: Cedarus atlantica Plant Part: WoodExtraction
Method: Steam Distilled

A pyramid-shaped majestic evergreen tree, up to 131 ft. high. The wood itself is hard and strongly aromatic because of the high percentage of essential oil it contains, and the essential oil is obtained by steam distillation. Color: Light golden yellow Common Uses: Emotionally comforting and uplifting. Thought to be effective in treating acne, coughing and dandruff. Consistency: Medium Aromatic Scent: Cedarwood Atlas has a woody, sweet, sharp smell, reminiscent of mothballs.

History: Cedarwood was frequently used to line linen chests to keep moths out.

Cautions: Avoid during pregnancy. Use with moderation (not in long extended inhalations) as a fragrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment